Friday, May 18, 2012

Best Day Ever

Today has been the "best day ever"! The day started out cloudy and dreary.  I remembered that I needed to work on my artist trading cards (ATC's) for the June trade coming up in a few weeks. I figured today would be a good day to get started on them. It usually takes me several days of playing with my supplies to decide what I want to do.

I guess to start with, I should explain a little about artist trading cards for those who aren't familiar with them.  ATC's are like baseball cards that children used to trade years ago. The size is very specific:
2 1/2" X 3 1/2". ALWAYS!  Artists and crafters usually make them  to trade with other artists and crafters, sometimes in local groups, during Arts & Crafts fairs and conventions, and through the Internet.
I personally belong to a group here in San Antonio where I live, and we meet on the first Tuesday of the month at our local rubber stamp store.

The groups you trade with usually assign topics or themes for the cards you will trade. Cards traded at craft fairs and conventions can usually be any theme you wish,which makes them lots of fun because you can whip up a few while trying out new products, new stamps, and  new inks. Whatever your media of choice! Some people even use their trading cards as business cards, to advertise what types of art or crafts they do.  Anyway, my topics for this upcoming trade are;Zentangle/Doodling or "One Stamp". Our group decided to use the "Umbrella Man" stamp from Tim Holtz designs. While playing and trying to decide which media and type of materials I wanted to use on my cards, I put together this card using some scraps of card stock and ribbons that were left from a greeting card I made yesterday. I have an envelope where I keep images that I have stamped and colored (like the butterfly above) and then I can use them on ATC's whenever I need a focal point.

So, my day turned out to be a great one, because I decided on the cards I will make for the up coming trade, I got a few "scrappy" ones made using scraps from my stamping table, and the sun came out from behind the clouds and it turned out to be the best day ever!  Hope you had a good one, too!

1 comment: