Monday, August 12, 2013

PRIMA DOLL STAMP BLOG HOP! - Week #2- Summer

It's time for Week #2 of the Prima Doll Stamp Blog Hop! Have you seen the Doll Stamps from artist Julie Nutting? They are adorable, and a few of us are having so much fun with them, that we have decided to put together a 4-part Blog Hop, and the rules are very simple.

Each Tuesday throughout the month of August, we will be sharing creations made with a variety of these fabulous stamps, to inspire you. This is going to be a 4-Seasons Blog Hop with each Tuesday's projects featuring a season of the year.

The theme of Tuesday, August 13, 2013 will be Summer Features;  Tuesday, August 20, 2013 will be Fall Features;  and Tuesday, August 27, 2013 will be Winter Features.

All you will need to do is HOP to each of our blogs each Tuesday in August and leave us a comment. Be sure to leave your email address, because on August 30th we will EACH be giving away a prize!  (and we need to know how to get in touch with you, so we can send your Blog Candy!)

Yes, each participant will be giving away a prize package, and these packages will be shown on each of our blogs during the Hop!  REMEMBER. . . . you will need to comment each Tuesday to be eligible for the prize drawing.  AND. . . .if you share our hop information on your blog, Facebook page, or Twitter account, be sure to let us know and you will get a SECOND chance at the prize drawing.  WAIT THERE IS MORE!  If you become a follower/subscriber to our blogs, you will get a THIRD chance!!!!!!

Are you ready for some fun?????Here are our participants, and they are waiting for your visit this week!                          
                                                                     * * * * * * * * * * * *

                                                               Dar's Crafty Creations

                                                                 Primitive Seasons

                                                              A Mermaids Crafts

                                                                   Nellies Nest

                                Paper & Ink with Mulberry Mindy (you are HERE)

                                                               Scrap for Joy

                                                                     * * * * * * * * * * * *

Here is my Feature for Week #2:  SUMMER FUN AT THE BEACH TRIPTYCH


This three-panel art piece can be used as a free-standing collage, or wall art piece used to decorate your special "get-away" space, to remind you of a time, feel, or special destination that inspires you to relax and enjoy every moment of the day!

I started out by collecting all sorts of "beachy" type ephemera, clip art and stickers that reminded me of a special time. Most of my summers were spent with my family at the beach.  My father would take a couple of weeks vacation time during the summer when I was out of school, and the family would drive down to the coast of Texas, where we would enjoy the sun and sand, and lots of fish dinners during our stay.


I began the project by giving the entire piece a nice coat of white gesso and letting it dry completely. I then glued my clip art picture from Paper Wings Productions to the center panel about half way down.  Then using the picture as a starting point and guide, I sketched the mountains on the left panel, and the water line/horizon line on the right panel.  I then basecoated the beach/sand on the left , sand in the center, and water and sand in the right panel. When the paint was dry, I added a layer of gel medium to the sand area and sprinkled on a  layer of  Tim Holtz Distress Embossing Powder in Antique Linen, which when right from the jar looks like grainy sand.  I also added more gel medium to the left panel, and sprinkled on Spring Meadow Speckles from JudiKins, which is a product similar to glitter, (loose and rough textured) and reminds me of chopped up grass clippings. This gave the sand dunes a feeling of plants growing at the edges.  I then used various shades of watercolor pencils to color in the sky areas, and the water with waves.

After the sky dried, I painted a wash of yellow acrylic paint, thinned with Golden Acrylic Glazing Liquid around the edges of the frames, in the joining area, and on the back of the piece.  Then using the circles background stamp from Paper Wings Productions I stamped one row of the circles around each
frame in Sepia Archival Ink from Ranger. I colored in the mountain area with my Copic markers, and stamped some low clouds with the cloud stamp from Paper Wings. I also wet my watercolor brush with water, and scrubbed some white cloud areas in the sky areas and blotted with a paper towel. Using my white Posca marker, I added white caps to the waves in the water, and softened the stamped clouds so they weren't so striking.

The last steps consisted of adding all the collectibles to the triptych panels. To the left panel I added acrylic bubbles and spanish moss to the grassy area, with 3-D flowers to accent the panel. The center panel hilighted the sun in the sky and the shells in the sand at the water's edge, and a turtle sticker and sea glass accented the last panel along with the words, "Summer is. . . . Time for Fun!"

For my Prima Doll, I stamped the Doll in Peasant Dress Stamp on heavy watercolor paper, and colored her in with Copic markers, coloring on her one-piece bathing suit. I then paper pieced her dress/cover-up from a summery flowered scrap of scrapbook paper. I dimensionalized the dress and figure using the very thick 3-D Zots from Thermo-Web to adhere her to the triptych panel.

So, there you have it! Don't forget to leave a comment here, to be eligible for my "BLOG CANDY" give-away. Please check my sidebar on the right for a picture and list of my Blog Candy prize!

DON'T FORGET TO CONTINUE ON HOPPING TO JOYCE'S BLOG,  "SCRAP FOR JOY" to continue on the hop!

Here are a few more of my past projects using my Prima Doll Stamps.




Thanks for stopping by, see you again soon!   Mindy

33 comments:

  1. Very creative and "summery"...she looks so relaxed just standing "at the beach"!!! Once again a super cool project and very clever....glad you are on our team!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Love the tryptich. What a clever idea! Aren't we doing a great job!?!?!?

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all so fabulous and I am so inspired by these blog hops. I'm also happy there will be many more! So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oi Mindy!!!

    Parabéns pela criação tão maravilhosa!!! Fiz comentário no BLOG da Darlene, Mary, Lisa e Diane!!

    Beijos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your triptych is so creative and you have added so many fun elements. Also please note I have mentioned you blog hop in a post on my blog. I have also posted a link to your hop in a post on a Splitcoaststampers Prima Doll Swap thread.
    http://paulettesapaper-artzy.blogspot.com/2013/08/prima-doll-blog-post.html
    http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/3-d-items-specialty-cards-tags-f109/%2Anew-open%2A-oh-girl-prima-paper-dolls-swap-due-9-30-13-a-t574856.html
    Post #151

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your triptych is very creative! You have wonderful ideas in your 1st paragraph of things that could be done with this triptych.
    How you colored and dressed your doll makes her fit into the setting perfectly. The reddish hair and colors you chose for her suit and cover-up make her look "summery" as Diane said above. She shows up very well with out too much going on in the background. The cover-up is a wonderful idea that really adds dimension. Your work on your background is beautiful ad also adds dimension. Just Fan-tabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness - the triptych is amazing. Love how you added texture!! What a fabulous inspirational creation. Following along and love this hope. TFS

    karon(dot)hughes(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh ... this is AMAZING!! I've never made a TRIPTYCH ... thanks so much for the instructions! Absolutely adorable! And, I love that her pretty summertime dress mimics the flowers in the corner ... a very nice touch!
    I'm so thrilled to be doing this hop with such talented crafters ... I learn more and more each week for each of you!
    Have a wonderful day/week! Can't wait to see what you & the other ladies create for next week's FALL theme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mindy..

    I really like your latest addition to the blog hop. It reminds me of times I spent on coast vacations. You are one creative gal!! Would make a good travel brochure.

    Luzita

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your three panel art work is GORGEOUS! I love the scenery-so peaceful! The Prima girl stamp is so fun and you showcased it perfectly! Your tags are super sweet also! Love them!
    Have a super day!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com
    jskoning at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to book a trip to your beach! Love all of the detail in your tryptich and I appreciated your directions on how you did it! Your tags all lovely as well. I'm loving being a part of this group and awed by everyone's talent!
    xoxo
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what gorgeous projects! I am in awe of that trifold collage... love the clipart on that one and all the elements you added to it... your tags are gorgeous too!

    Hugs,
    Jo
    ♥ Jo's Scrap Shack ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all so much for such wonderful comments! I love hearing from you all, and will try to visit each personally.

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, Mindy, this is amazing!! What a gorgeous triptych!! I love the peaceful and beautiful scene you've created!! I want to be there now!! All of the details are perfect!! And the doll looks fabulous - her dress is awesome!! Love, love this my friend!! Looking forward to your fall projects!! Happy Tuesday :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute, Mindy! Love the beachy tryptich. The Prima doll looks fabulous:) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I joined your blog but forgot to mention it. I think having people join your blogs is a great idea. I'm learning so much.
    joanc@satx.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your triptych is such a good idea! It would make a lovely gift or even a card! Thanks for the ideas.
    suekimmet at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great projects, I love them, thanks for sharing.

    alvinadiaz@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely beautiful project!! I just love the scene that you created.
    salido99@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. How very clever of you to triptych the beach and represent Summer with your doll at the beach. This is such a fun hop. Thank you for participating. Creative Happy Hearts...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness, ever so fantastic!! What a beautiful summer tribute! Just as dreamy as can be - living so close to the beach here in Miami, I have to say you absolutely nailed the image/feel! Stunning work!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How beautiful is your water coloring and handy work! Love all three of the panels and Thank you for the description of your how to's. Love your story of growing up on family vacations at the beach. Love the Doll and the paper pieced cover up- and the fun flowers and turtle sticker!
    Shellymc2 at Comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your tryptich. Really creative! I am enjoying the blog hop very much! I have added the link to my blog: www.gracefilledmoments.blogspot.com. Thanks for sharing!Linda (LSmithRN62@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a masterpiece. I love the clip art of the two women. Thank you for sharing how you created the piece. The doll is great and the turtle finishes it off. Thank you so much for sharing your talent.

    Debbie P.
    deb.peysen@suddenlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  25. Breath taking, simply adorable! Loved all the detail, great job, thanks for sharing:)

    Peace, Love, & Cricut Hugs!
    Monica L .

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ph what a wonderful summer scene. a great creative project.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome job on the triptych! YOu created wonderful beach scenes to go with her, very dimension, love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You have been busy. love your Triptych. you tags are fun as well. ajscreativeenergy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a nice idea to create a scene for the doll.
    Carol b
    Cburnsstar@aol.com

    ReplyDelete