Sunday, October 21, 2012

Dia de los Muertos

Hello friends,
Yesterday I finally had time to get out my NEW stamps from Paper Wings Productions, that I had ordered and play with them. This set is titled "Dia de los Muertos Hombre "clear stamp set. Click here to see more of their New stamps that are available now!
I especially liked this set because of the papel picados and rose garland spray stamps that were in the set with the "hombre".

I have never celebrated Dia de los Muertos, (Spanish for Day of the Dead) which is a Mexican holiday celebrated in Mexico and around the world in many other cultures. It is celebrated on November 1 & 2 and focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember those who have died. I have enjoyed hearing and reading the history of the holidays, and always thought it was a good idea to celebrate and honor family members and friends who have passed on before us.

Traditions include building altars and decorating with pictures of the deceased, sugar skulls, marigold flowers, and favorite foods and beverages of the departed. Celebrations should take on happy tones, remembering fun events and anecdotes about the departed.

This card made me happy while making it, because it reminded me of the great times I spent with my Mother and Dad before they passed away. I first stamped the hombre on white card stock with Memento black ink, and colored his hat, shoes, and facial decorations with my copic markers. Then I stamped the rose garland twice, and colored the roses in pink, which was my Mother's favorite color rose. The shrine stamp is from Stampers Anonymous, and was colored with my Distressed markers. The pieces were fussy cut and then mounted on some printed scrapbook paper to give it a little pop! A length of matching ribbon was knotted in the center and adhered to the unit before attaching it to the card front, which I shaded along the edges with chalk ink.  I then attached the banner and my card was complete.

I don't know for sure if I will send out this card or not. I may just keep it for myself, happily remembering my friends and relatives that have gone on before. Take time to remember someone you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment