Monday, April 13, 2015

Floral Birthday

Happy Monday Friends!  I have a birthday card to share, that is created using one of the hottest trends in card making today, watercolor!

I started with a 4"X 5.25" sheet of watercolor paper and stamped flowers from the Hennah Elements stamp set from Altenew with Ranger Archival black ink. The flowers in this set are so bold and vivid, and they have such interesting elements included in the set. I then heat set the ink to make sure it was completely dry.  Then using my watercolor pencils and my Tim Holtz water brush, I colored the flowers and blended the colors on each.

I usually watercolor adjacent flowers and then dry them before moving on to the other flowers. That keeps the flowers from bleeding into each other.  Of course, I highlighted one flower with a shadow, then stamped another on a scrap of watercolor paper, colored it in, fussy cut around it, then added it to the previous layer with a foam square. This adds dimension to the card, along with popping up the sentiment banner with foam tape after stamping Happy Birthday with the Large Fancy Sentiment stamp from JustRite Stamps.  I also added texture to the card by glossing over the purple small flowers with irRESISTible Pico Embellisher in clear.  It makes them shiny and glossy and really helps the color to POP!

To finish my card I adhered it to a pink A2 card base then added Yellow Liquid Pearls and Yellow Stickles to the centers of the flowers to add a little sparkle. I hope you have enjoyed this card, and will stamp and color one of your own today. Have a great week, and visit with me again soon.
Mindy 

2 comments:

  1. Such a happy card. It's like a lovely bouquet! Your watercolor is lovey. it's nice to know watercolors are back in style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful, Mindy!! The flowers look amazing!! I love the colors and design!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete