Thursday, September 5, 2013

Journal Page Tribute to Our Prima Doll Stamp Blog Hop





I completed a page in my Art Journal today, paying tribute to my participation in my first ever Blog Hop. The Prima Doll Stamp Blog Hop was during the month of August, 2013. Each week, 5 other artists and myself presented projects on our blogs featuring the Prima Doll Stamps from Julie Nutting, celebrating the Four Seasons of our year; Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter.

I saw this technique, Creating a Patchwork Background, on a YouTube video with Dyan Reaveley for RangerInk.com.  Using her creative Art Journal, I started by doodling on a page with my Pigma Micron black permanent marker.  You can then fill in the sections with solid colors, or filling in with Zentangle doodles in each section. Ever since Zentangle became popular, I have been engrossed in it. I love drawing patterns inside outlines to make cards or just intricate designs.

The next step is to add color to your designs. Dyan used her Dylusions Inks in water brushes in her video, but I used Marvy and Prismacolor markers to color mine in.

You can then use any stencil or template to make a design guide. I took two of my Prima Doll Stamps, "Riley" & "Olive" and traced them out on clear packaging plastic with a Sharpie marker.  You could also use StazOn Ink to stamp on the plastic, because StazOn is the only ink that will stamp on non-porous surfaces.  Then cut out your design with scissors.  The next step is to place them on your page where you want them and using Tim Holtz Black Acrylic Paint Dauber, or any black acrylic paint and sponge dab the paint around your figures and over part of the page. You can then take a paper towel or baby wipe to soften the edge of the paint where it meets your doodling. I used a matte black Patio Paint by DecoArt, and it made the dark background look like a chalkboard. Using black makes the colors of your designs more dramatic. 

When the acrylic paint is dry, outline your shapes with your black marker, and then outline the design with your White Gel Pen.  I then took my white Posca bullet tip paint marker and did a little journaling around the edge of the page. For details in the middle of the page, I used the white gel pen to journal about the other artists and their Blog Sites.

I had so much fun with this Blog Hop I wanted to remember the details by journaling about it in my Art Journal. So there is another use for the Doll Stamps, as stencils in an art project.  I hope you have enjoyed today's post as much as I enjoyed doing it.  Have a great weekend, and I will share with you again soon.

Mindy

4 comments:

  1. Cool project! I had fun following your blog and the other participants for the blog hop. Great Prima doll projects...I'm inspired. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous journal page and love the colours! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous journal page, Mindy!! I love the technique you used - it looks amazing!! I'll have to try that!! Awesome way to remember the hop - I love it!! Happy Friday :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea...and I love it that you had so much fun...we all will have to do it again....wonderful and creative page...sorry I have been late in getting around to visit...where does the time go???

    ReplyDelete