Friday, December 7, 2012

Coloring Stamped Images with Inktense Pencils

Fellow Stampers,
Today I am coloring stamped images with the Inktense colored pencils from Derwent.

In the previous post, I mentioned using them to color the snowman on kraft colored card stock. These are stamped on white tags, and the color is even more intense. Using water to blend the colors, seems easier to me than blending with just regular colored pencils. Of course, I like coloring some images with my Prismacolor pencils because of their creamy smooth texture, but these just seem easier to blend, plus you get the intense color without building the many, many layers of color.

I have tried several different brands of watercolor pencils in my day, and I really believe these Inktense style, by Derwent, are the fastest and easiest to use when coloring stamped images. They are also said to give vivid color on fabric surfaces, but I haven't tried this medium yet. I have a canvas envelope  that I plan on stamping today, so I may have a sample using them on fabric for you tomorrow.

Just like Copic markers are faster and easier to blend then other brands of markers, Inktense pencils are easier than other colored pencils. Of course, this is my opinion, try them out for yourself and see what you think before purchasing.  Many small Mom & Pop owned art stores will let you try many products before you buy, whereas the larger chain stores will not. Even attending a class or a crop will expose you to new products that you can "try, before you buy." So while out shopping this holiday season, try "Shopping Small" with local merchants. You will learn more than you thought humanly possible, and even get a great deal to boot!  You may even make a good friend in the process. Help support small business!

No comments:

Post a Comment